Monday, January 11, 2010

Time for rest & recovery.

Somewhere around 3:30 my mom, dad, brother, Stefanie and I made our way to "Reunion Avenue" to see Jack for the first time since the gut wrenching moment of handing him off to the nurse.  It seems like that was days ago at this point.

He looked a lot better than we expected or could have imagined.  Some swelling, tubes and some bandages were his battle scars from the 7 hour long ordeal (4 1/2 hours actual surgery).  Stefanie and I were relieved to see our baby boy once again!

Currently, we are are resting in the PICU, starting to wind down from the day and gear up for a long and mostly sleepless night.  The couple of times he has woken up pretty unhappy, he has been easily comforted with a bottle.  They are giving him several medications - antibiotics, steroid, anti-nausea, and pain.  He still has 2 iv lines, the heart monitors, catheter, blood oxygen monitors and the drain from his incision site.

FYI, Children's Mercy is not allowing any visitors under the age of 18 into the hospital.  So, please remember if you are planning to visit.

We are headed to grab some food and we will be back later with a nightcap.

Thanks again for the prayers and support!  We can feel the love!

Cory & Stefanie


11 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Awww ~ what a little trooper! I bet everyone is exhausted. I am so happy to hear how well he (and you guys) did. I hope the night goes well, and the rest of the recory. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Jenifer

January 11, 2010 at 6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jack looks good after such a rough day. Such sweet little guy. Hang in there. We are keeping you in our thoughts. Tammy, Mark, & Luke.

January 11, 2010 at 6:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you for a speedy recovery for Jack. We know the NICU quite well here in Hawaii from when Madison was born. Stay strong! Love you guys - Bonnie, Todd & Madison

January 11, 2010 at 8:13 PM  
Anonymous Gina said...

Thank you for sending the blog information. Jack sure is a little trooper!! You have been in my thoughts all day and I am so relieved to hear everything went so well today. Hang in there. Love, Gina Sadler

January 11, 2010 at 10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for keeping us updated throughout the day. Little Jack was on our minds all day long. We know your heart strings were pulled taught and your stress levels were in the ozone. All three of you have been thru quite the ordeal. Big sigh of relief and lots of hugs and kisses. Hope Jack is able to come home soon. We love you all.
Doug, Farah, Matt and Breezie

January 11, 2010 at 10:13 PM  
Anonymous Tony and Jan said...

Hi Jack - this is from your UK family. Looks like you've been through quite a journey and maybe the end is not yet in sight, but be sure of our thoughts as you get better. We look forward to our first cuddles in May (Jan is starting a rota already!) Now, lad, no headbutting your dad, OK?
Love,
Auntie Jan and Uncle Tony.

January 12, 2010 at 3:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am so sorry to hear all this. We need to keep in touch a bit better than we have over the last year. I am so glad to hear that the surgery went well. I am praying for all of you and will continue to do so. If I can get away with no children I will come visit. Please give hugs and kisses to Stef and Jack and big one for you! :)

January 12, 2010 at 6:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought about you guys all day yesterday, I know you must be exhausted. You both are strong people and have so much courage, I wish little Jack a speedy recovery. I hope to see him (and you) soon. Love, Nicki

January 12, 2010 at 7:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stefanie, Cory and precious Jack, it is good to hear that the surgery went well. You have remained in my prayers since Stefanie told me Jack's diagnosis. I know you must be exhausted. Please know that many people continue to wrap their arms around all of you with their prayers. Thank you for the updates. Anne

January 12, 2010 at 8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cory, Stefanie, and little Jack,
We are so happy that Jack came through the surgery well. I know it has been a rough time for all of you. Jack looks great in the picture. It has been nice to be able to hear and see how he is doing. Our prayers continue to be with you all. Tom and Kelly

January 12, 2010 at 1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear all is going well. I have been thinking of you and little precious Jack and am so happy he is on his road to recovery. Please let me know if you need anything...anything.
All my best. MaryBeth

January 12, 2010 at 1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home