Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Finally.....


Ahhh. Stefanie is asleep. Jack is finally resting peacefully due to the fact that he has been given a lot of really good drugs!! (lucky little bugger!) I want to thank our good friend, Christy Claeys, for her ability to make Stefanie and I feel comfortable in a difficult place. She is a rockstar and we appreciate her very much! Thank you Christy!
Jack was a little grumpy yesterday until he received his meds. He would cry for 2 minutes and then would calm down for 30 seconds. Cry for 2 mins and calm down for 30 seconds. He repeated this process for hours. Around 6pm last evening he was able to take an additional round of meds that helped with the pain, nausea, anxiety and swelling as well as IV fluids and a 3rd blood transfusion. All of that seemed to help all of us to get some much needed rest.
Yesterday was an amazing day in the PICU. For the time I have been here I feel I have seen a lot of things that have brought a tear to my eye and made me reflect on my own life.
~A quilt in the hallway that has a picture of a newborn with a caption that says, "A moment in our life. A lifetime in our hearts. 4/16/03 - 4/17/03". - 1 day? That is all this world got to see of this beautiful baby? 1 day? It isn't right.
~A small girl who could not contain her innocent emotions being consoled by an older woman and being told, "everything will be ok, it will be alright." as she continued to sob uncontrollably.
~The families that I regularly trade glances with, knowing that they were here before me and they will be here after I leave. The look in their eyes, the unheard conversations in the hallway, their patience and persistence have forever burned an image into my mind.
~The child in the next room, screaming in agony for hours now as 2-4 doctors and nurses tend to him at all times. My heart goes out to him and his family.
~The dedication of my wife as she has rarely left our son's side. Loving and comforting him as often as humanly possible. I am envious of her strength.
~Seeing the grief torn families of passed souls. Unfathomable emotions.

This experience has taught me a lot about my family, my life, the love a parent has for a child and unfortunately there is always someone somewhere is dealing with a more difficult and challenging situation than ours.

I had to get some of this off my chest before I exploded, so thanks for reading.

We are now in 2Henson Room 2411 or 2611. Either way when you enter the Hospital you will pass through security and find the Castle Elevators, then travel up to the 2nd floor, exit to your right (I know it says Burn Unit, but we are not in that area, just the same tower), push the little black button on the wall and the nurses will open the door, you must check in with the nurses and they will direct you to our room. Please feel free to visit and remember your ID and Children's Mercy says no kids 18 and under.

Cory & Stefanie

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I hope everyone is feeling better and getting some more rest today. We should all be grateful for the blessings in our lives have you have talked about here. Luke and I are praying for all of you. I'll stop in again tomorrow. Love you all.
Christy

January 13, 2010 at 12:05 PM  
Blogger jdavissquared said...

I've been thinking of you guys often.

It is very humbling being in a hospital. Whether you want to or not, you become aware of the struggles of the patients and families around you.

I pray that God continues to bless you all with healing.

hugs,
Jen

January 13, 2010 at 1:37 PM  
Blogger shannon said...

cory you are very good at this blogging thing!! i would love to be able to come and visit you guys again, but i am now sick and will go no where near there. so i will continue to support you from afar. please let us know if you need anything...alan can be available ;-)

January 13, 2010 at 2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cory - GWA is reading the blog daily and just want to say we are all here supporting you, Stef and Jack. As you have already realized, you will be amazed at a Mother and Father's strength and courage when it comes to their little ones. Having worked in a hospital before, I know first hand the emotions and feelings you are experiencing and it is very humbling to say the least. Take care and know you all are in my prayers and thoughts. Tory says hello and is feeling your pain at this moment. We are all praying and hoping for a speedy recovery for little Jack. Lots of love and kisses.

Kim and your GWA Family

January 13, 2010 at 5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a joy to see his eyes open. His pain we will never know and your pain we can only imagine. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to be of help. At the very least, we will see you Sunday night with dinner. Thank you again for this blogspot. We feel like we are right there with you. Luv, Bruce and Toni

January 13, 2010 at 6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stefanie

Hang in there it will only get better now that you have reach the top of the hill. My heart goes out to all of you. Children (& Grandchildren)are our most precious gifts. They touch a spot in our hearts that nothing and no one else can. I do have to say that with me sitting across from you everyday at work, I have seen that same frown on your face that Jack has on his face. He looks just like you of course without the black eye.
So, you know what grandmothers say
"Take that frown and turn it upside down then you will be so happy" but in Jack's case you will feel relieved

January 14, 2010 at 9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home