Thursday, January 14, 2010

It's a good day.

Today has started very well!!! Stefanie and I were able to get a little more sleep last night and as you can see Jack is awake and alert with fingers in his mouth along with tubing, IV line or anything else he can reach. Drug induced or not, we got a smile or two this morning which made us all very happy!

The surgeon's Nurse Practitioner (NP) stopped by and mentioned that they will come back around 2:30pm to change his wound dressings and possibly remove the drain line depending on the collected amount. You can see the collection bulb and drain line in both pictures. We are optimistic about his progress from this point forward. However, even with the positive outlook for today we would prefer to remain at CM to take advantage of the care givers here rather than being incapable of high quality care at home. Not that Stefanie and I are incapable, but the CM staff have a little more field experience.

The sleeping arrangements have left a little to be desired. I thought we were moving into the lap of luxury with a large rocker recliner that can lay fairly flat and the 6' window seat that doubles as a bed. Maybe my perception of our new furnishings was a little tainted and the expectations were a tad high. We are still in a hospital after all. I will not lie, I miss my Tempurpedic bed sorely!! Pardon the pun.

Sometime late this afternoon, the fashion icon will be measured and fitted for his ultra cool helmet. I can't wait to adhere the endless possibilities of stickers and accessories to his new appendage. Any ideas on how to decorate Jack's helmet? The best idea wins!!

Jack and Stefanie just fell asleep and the mood is tranquil and peaceful for now. I will update later today when we have more news.

Cory & Stefaine

PS - This moment in our lives has been very emotional for Stefanie, myself and our family and this blog has given me an outlet for my emotions. Please accept my apology for the tears that I have caused with my writing. It was obviously not my intent. Stefanie, Jack and I are continuously overwhelmed with the gracious support given to us by those of you reading our updates. Know that your support, positive thoughts and prayers give us the extra ounce of energy and strength we need to manage our emotions and feelings. Our needs won't end when we leave this wonderful place as the home care will definitely prove to be very difficult and challenging. As Bartel's and James once said, "Thank you for your support." (That's back when wine coolers were, well, cool.

5 Comments:

Blogger shannon said...

can i just say how wonderful it is to see a smiling jack!! cory, he looks just like you in that picture;-) i just want to put my arms around him...an you guys too. i can't imagine all that you are going through, though i am so glad that you have been blogging about it (other wise you would have received a dozen or so phone calls from us...driving you crazy.) i can understand the feeling of not wanting to go home, but you two are wonderful parents...fully equipped! you are rock stars!!! as for his helmet....i think it needs a mohawk!!!!! we could find one and glue it right on the middle;-)

January 14, 2010 at 11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you all are amazing...jack looks so laid back and happy in the pictures from this morning. Remember...God gives us what he knows we can handle, you all will do great at home. Little ones bounce back so quickly I'm sure he will amaze us all in his recovery. I love you guys and can't wait to see you! Lesley

January 14, 2010 at 12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'M THINKIN A HARLEY DAVIDSON THEME MIGHT WORK. SEEMS LIKE HIS DAD HAD SOME CREATIVE THOUGHTS FOR HIS OWN HELMET, MAYBE HE COULD PASS THEM DOWN. ANDRUS

January 14, 2010 at 12:58 PM  
Blogger jdavissquared said...

What a cutie! I'm so happy that it's a good day!

Maybe you could paint the helmet with chalkboard paint and then you can draw something different every day! But, I'm diggin' Shannon's idea of a mohawk. Maybe you could make it velcro so you can switch up hairstyles or hats! You could make all kinds of syles to stick on there! It could be fun!

If you need any help with the decorating, you know where to find me! I have a closet full of supplies I'm sure we could come up with something!

Again, so glad things are going well! Please keep updating!

jen

January 14, 2010 at 1:32 PM  
Blogger Debbie Fajkus said...

Seeing your smiling baby -- AMEN! This blog just made my day! Keep it going. If you need anything, say the word. The prayers continue for you all.
Love,
Deb

January 14, 2010 at 4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home